Security supervisors to oversee guards to protect private property against theft and vandalism. Security officers also ensure the safety of people on the employer’s premises. Security personnel work in office buildings, retail stores and other public buildings. They also work in public transportation venues, such as airports and bus terminals. Depending on the size of his staff, the security supervisor might do patrol duty, or his job may be primarily administrative.
- Interviews, hires, and trains security staff.
- Oversees the daily workflow, schedules, and assignments of security staff including security guards and desk clerks.
- Prepares and conducts training for new hires and current staff including training on workplace searches, drug and alcohol procedures, and related safety and security topics.
- Provides and/or implements security and security protocols for all assigned facilities and information systems.
- Takes proactive steps to provide a safe and secure working environment to staff and visitors.
- Provides specialized security for and monitors access to limited and restricted access areas such as inventory areas, network equipment areas, and employee files and confidential records.
- Conducts regular walk-throughs and security inspections for assigned facilities.
- Where government projects are involved, serves as a liaison to government agencies concerning project security; assists with security clearance processing for employees working on government classified programs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Extensive knowledge of security protocol and procedures.
- Excellent management and supervisory skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to provide training on security policies and procedures.
- Ability to work with confidential and classified information.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Five years of related security experience required.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds at a time.
- Ability to traverse various areas of the facility to conduct inspections and plan security procedures.